Alexander G. Truesdell ,
- Interventional Cardiology
- Vascular Disease
Alexander G. Truesdell, MD specializes in complex coronary interventions, coronary chronic total occlusions, mechanical circulatory support, and cardiogenic shock. He is board certified in interventional cardiology, endovascular medicine, cardiovascular disease, and vascular medicine. "As an interventionalist, I am privileged to offer preventive care, clinical research innovations, and lifesaving emergency care to my fellow Virginians," he said.
Dr. Truesdell earned his medical degree from the University of Southern California and completed residency training at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and fellowship training at Brown University. He is co-director of the Cardiogenic Shock Service at the Inova Heart & Vascular Institute, an investigator on multiple international cardiovascular research trials, is widely published on a variety of cardiovascular topics, and is a regular speaker at national scientific conferences.
An Army combat veteran, Dr. Truesdell previously served in infantry, intelligence, medical, and special operations units in the United States, Europe, the Balkans, Iraq, and Afghanistan.
He enjoys spending time with his wife and three young children biking, hiking and camping.
- University of Southern California
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center | Internal Medicine
- Brown University | Cardiovascular Disease
- Brown University | Interventional Cardiology
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Interventional Cardiology
- Vascular Medicine
- Endovascular Medicine
Specialty Areas of Interest
- Interventional Cardiology
- Peripheral Vascular Interventions
- Mechanical Circulatory Support
- Coronary Chronic Total Occlusions
- American College of Cardiology | Fellow
- Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions | Fellow
- Society for Vascular Medicine | Fellow
- Assistant Professor | George Washington University School of Medicine
- Assistant Professor | Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
- Assistant Professor | Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Teaching Faculty, Coronary Care Unit | Inova Heart and Vascular Institute
- Site Co-Principal Investigator | National Cardiogenic Shock Initiative
- Co-Director, Cardiogenic Shock Service | Inova Heart and Vascular Institute
- Member, Interventional Cardiology Leadership Council | American College of Cardiology
- Member, Vascular Operations Committee | Inova Heart and Vascular Institute
- Member, Cardiogenic Shock Thinktank | Cardiac Safety Research Consortium
- Co-Principal Investigator, INOVA-SHOCK Registry, Inova Heart and Vascular Institute
- Army Combat Veteran (Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan)
- Top Doctor | Washingtonian
- Inova Alexandria Hospital
- Inova Fair Oaks Hospital
- Inova Fairfax Hospital
- Inova Loudoun Hospital
- Reston Hospital Center
- Virginia Hospital Center
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Improved Outcomes with the Use of Shock Protocols: Updates from the National Cardiogenic Shock Initiative. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2019.
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Radial Artery Remodeling Following Transradial Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Med and Women: Insights from Serial Ultrahigh Frequency Ultrasonography. Cardiovasc Revasc Med 2019.
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Impact of New Guidelines of Unscheduled and Scheduled Sedation for Cardiologists. J Am Coll Cardiol 2019. (http://www.onlinejacc.org/content/74/11/1505).
- Truesdell, Alexander G. After Action Reviews. J Invasive Cardiol 2019. (https://www.invasivecardiology.com/articles/after-action-reviews)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Leveraging the Power of Marginal Gains to Improve Outcomes in Interventional Cardiology. JAMA Cardiol 2019. (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2753539)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Clinical and Regulatory Landscape for Cardiogenic Shock: a Report from the Cardiac Safety Research Consortium ThinkTank of Cardiogenic Shock. Am Heart J 2019.
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Standardized Team-Based Care for Cardiogenic Shock. J Am Coll Cardiol 2019.(http://www.onlinejacc.org/content/73/13/1659)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. The Implications of Acute Clinical Care Responsibilities on the Contemporary Practice of Interventional Cardiology. J Am Coll Cardiol Interv 2019.(http://interventions.onlinejacc.org/content/12/6/595)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Improving Management of Cardiogenic Shock: the INOVA Heart and Vascular Institute Standardized Team-Based Approach. J am Coll Cardiol 2018 (https://www.onlinejacc.org/content/72/13_Supplement/B146.1)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Lactate and Cardiac Power Output Measurements at 12-24 Hours Reliably Predict Outcomes in Cardiogenic Shock: Insights from the National Cardiogenic Shock Initiative. J Am Coll Cardiol 2018.
- Truesdell, Alexander G. "Combat" Approach to Cardiogenic Shock. Interv Cardiol 2018.
(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5980650/pdf/icr-13-81.pdf) and (https://rutherfordmedicine.com/videos/Combat-Approach-To-Cardiogenic-Shock-Al-D8BF84BE3)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Implementation of a Cardiogenic Shock Team and Clinical Outcomes (INOVA-SHOCK Registry): Observational and Retrospective Study. JMIR Res Protoc 2018.
- Truesdell, Alexander G. War On Shock. Journal of Invasive Cardiology 2017. (https://www.invasivecardiology.com/articles/war-shock)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Transradial Approach for Lower Extremity Peripheral Interventions. Transradial Intervention: Simple to Spectacular 2016. (http://www.trisimpletospectacular.com/node/129)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Transradial Peripheral Vascular Intervention: Challenges and Opportunities. Interventional Cardiology 2015. (http://www.openaccessjournals.com/articles/transradial-peripheral-vascular-intervention-challenges-and-opportunities.pdf)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Coronary Angiography: Valve and Hemodynamic Assessment. Sabiston and Spencer’s Surgery of the Chest, 9th Edition 2015. (https://www.clinicalkey.com/#!/browse/book/3-s2.0-C20121011794)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Late Occurring Left Atrial Appendage Thrombus After Ligation Using LARIAT. J Interv Cardiol Electrophys 2014. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24928486)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Challenges in the Management of Postpartum Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection. Interventional Cardiology 2012. (http://www.openaccessjournals.com/articles/challenges-in-the-management-of-postpartum-spontaneous-coronary-artery-dissection.pdf)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Therapeutic Hypothermia for Myocardial Protection in ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction. J Clinic Experiment Cardiol 2011. (http://www.omicsonline.org/therapeutic-hypothermia-for-myocardial-protection-in-st-elevation-myocardial-infarction-2155-9880.S5-003.pdf)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. An Angiographic and Intravascular Ultrasound Study of the Left Anterior Descending Coronary Artery in Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 2011. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21741604)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Building the Team of Teams: Defeating Cardiogenic Shock. Presented at the Society for Cardiovascular and Angiography Annual Scientific Sessions 2019. (https://scai.ovationevents.com/scai-2018/free-content/building-the-team-of-teams-defeating-cardiogenic-shock/)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Complex Coronary Intervention and Cardiomyopathy. Presented at protectedpci.com2019. (https://www.protectedpci.com/alexander-truesdell-presents-a-case-on-cardiomyopathy-with-impella-support/)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. "Combat" Approach to Cardiogenic Shock. Presented at Cardiovascular Research Technologies 2017-2019. (https://rutherfordmedicine.com/videos/Combat-Approach-To-Cardiogenic-Shock-FD45C64E0)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Managing Shock on the "Battlefront". Presented at protectedpci.com 2017. (https://www.protectedpci.com/dr-alexander-truesdell-managing-shock-at-the-battlefront-of-surgery)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Cardiogenic Shock Due to Severe Multivessel Disease. Presented at protectedpci.com 2017.
- Truesdell, Alexander G. Coronary and Peripheral Intervention with Impella Support. Presented at protectedpci.com 2016. (http://www.protectedpci.com/dr-alexander-truesdell-two-vascular-beds-treated-during-peripheral-intervention-with-impella-support)
- Truesdell, Alexander G. From Heart Failure, NSTEMI, and Shock, to Support, Intervention, and Recovery. Presented at protectedpci.com 2016. (http://www.protectedpci.com/from-heart-failure-nstemi-and-shock-to-recovery)
"A team can achieve anything if no one cares who gets the credit."